Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Make for Android and associated problems

NOTE: Your phone, your responsibility. (all stuff from previous posts)

I managed to compile make for android. But unfortunately it is not foolproof. Download it here and push the contents to the /system folder in the emulator. But there is one slight problem. There is a function that make uses called ttyname(). This function is supposed to be defined in libc. But as android doesn't run on standard libc but bionic. It has not been implemented and left as a stub. It basically returns the name of the terminal device like "/dev/pts/1". I think the best way to get around would be to implement it in bionic stubs code itself. But that would require replacing libc. And I don't like the sound of it. Another way would be to implement it in make. But I wasn't gonna spend this night doing that. So instead i hardcoded it to return "root".

And fortunately enough make seems to work fine without it. I wrote a small makefile and compiled to check. Sorry I did't include that in the package. But have fun trying it out by writing your own.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on implementation of ttyname.

PS: I have made progress on putting the scripts together for build system. Stay tuned 

No comments:

Post a Comment